ReCyclore Ottawa Bicycle Cooperative
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating space through managing donations

Go down

Creating space through managing donations Empty Creating space through managing donations

Post by Mike K Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:22 pm

This thread is to discuss the issues raised in the document Quo Vadis 2014.
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Creating space through managing donations Empty Cleaning out some junkers

Post by Mike K Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 am

As per the quo vadis document we need to do something about space. As long as donations are plentiful (ie like now) I think our solution has to be scrapping more bikes, ie low end dept store bikes that would require a significant amount of work to make ride ready.

I know I (and others) are reluctant to do this because we want to keep all the bikes out of the dump, but we're just fooling ourselves, The fact of the matter is that when people have nowhere to send their bikes they send them to the landfill. By not scrapping the low end junkers we are merely sending a different bike to the dump. In all likelyhood we are talking about a better bike, or at least one in better condition. If not, then it's the same either way.

So, how about we get more brutal about those decisions? Darcy has offered to do some of this and I say we accept the offer. I know I don't have the expertise to make a quick assessment and I am too soft hearted regardless. Ray has the expertise, but seems to share my reluctance to send any bike to the scrap yard. How about next time he is in (2 weeks) Darcy spends some time identifying more junkers?
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum