ReCyclore Ottawa Bicycle Cooperative
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Culling Bike Parts

3 posters

Go down

Culling Bike Parts Empty Culling Bike Parts

Post by Mike K Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:24 am

As part of creating space in the shop it seems to be that we should cull (get rid of many) some parts. To that end I am creating this thread for discussion of which, and added a page to the Bike Parts Sheet as to what could be culled.

1) Hubs. How often do we rebuild a wheel from scratch? Never done it or heard of anyone else doing it in over a year, so do we really need a milk crate full? Propose we save a couple of hubs of each type/brand and recycle the rest.

2) Wheel reflectors: Do we ever put them on a bike? Never seen it, so why have dozens and dozens? Propose we trash all but half a dozen or so.
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Culling Bike Parts Empty Re: Culling Bike Parts

Post by evg Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:11 pm

It's a good idea to clean up and use space more efficiently. A couple of points to consider are, correct me if I'm wrong but for some old gear Recyclore may be one of the only places in town where you can find old parts. One could probably pay for parts online but having a parts to look through can be a great convenience.

Regarding reflectors, yes, I have put them on bikes, especially kids bikes. However, not that often. Reflectors for clothing is available at MEC.ca and other shops. I recommend we keep some but defer to the shop regulars who know better than I.

evg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike K Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:59 pm

evg wrote: Regarding reflectors, yes, I have put them on bikes,

OK, so maybe we need to add reflectors to the checklist of "To Do", or at least decide whether we will or not. I think this determines how many we should be trying to keep on hand.
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Culling Bike Parts Empty Reflectors and others

Post by Mike K Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Folks

As a general policy can we make an effort to keep associated parts together? I am thinking things like:

• Reflectors and the screws and bolts that attach them
  • Kick stands and their brackets (we have buckets full of kickstands & plastic drawers with upper plates and bolts for them)
  • Bike carriers and the bolts & clamps to attach them

To me it makes absolutely no sense not to keep them together. Granted it is easier when removing them to not bother reattaching the relevant pieces, but it is crazy making to have to search for matching parts and I believe wastes far more time than simply keeping them together in the first place would. Thoughts?
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike K Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Actually by Ray B. on a different thread. Moved to here

After sorting through the wheels, I notice there are about twice as many front wheels as there are rear ones. A good place to start with culling or even off-site storage if that is an option.

Maybe putting kijiji/used ottawa ads for parts as well will spread the word they are available at Recyclore along with complete bikes, at least with some of the higher end and excess parts.
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike K Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:16 pm

In theory that is an excellent idea for disposal, but I  wonder how well it will work. The thing is, the parts mix that we have is no accident.

We have lots of the parts that we have lots of because they are more durable and generally:

• When we scrap a bike those parts still tend to be in acceptable condition so we save them;
  • When we fix a bike those parts don't need replacing;
  • Those parts on clients bikes are also in acceptable condition, so people aren't buying them.

The parts we are short of are more fragile, so generally:

• When we scrap a bike they are shot, so we scrap them with the bike;
  • When we fix a bike they often need to be replaced, so we do it;
  • Clients buying parts are buying those parts for the same reason.

Which would be why pretty much all of the email enquiries I get, and the drop ins looking for parts, are almost always for things we are short of (eg this week I got 2 requests for 700 cc wheels, 1 last week; and of course we have none) and almost never for things we are drowning in (I don't think we've sold a hub, ever). I'll bet Recycle Cycles and Bicycle Coop Velo have the same parts mix that we have. Same excesses, same shortages, for the same reason.

So I wonder if posted ads will fare any better?
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Post by RayB Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Regarding reflectors: I do install them on kids bikes as well. They are required by law for the rider, so I figure it's a good policy.

The ads may not sell tons of parts, but the main idea is to use them for advertising and to get the word out. Looking for a wheel today, maybe tomorrow their in need of a bike or a place to DIY repiar.
RayB
RayB

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike K Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Yeah, but understand that the ads are not free from a work perspective. They take time to set up, and depending on season can generate a lot of email. This past two weeiks I have had 50-60 email exchanges from 5 ads; that takes time. Always posting the frame & wheel size will cut some of that, but only by about 1/4.

A % often has nothing to do with the posted ad, but is asking if we have some other bike size/model/style as well. I'll bet parts ads generate the same; eg "I don't want a 20" wheel, but do you have any thumb shifters."

So that has to bve factored in.
Mike K
Mike K

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum