ReCyclore Ottawa Bicycle Cooperative
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust Remover and Penetrant

2 posters

Go down

Rust Remover and Penetrant Empty Rust Remover and Penetrant

Post by Admin Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Rust Remover

David asked about getting some rust remover and suggested CLR. I usually just scrap/grind it off with a wire brush, but it is true that the rusts spots are not always that accessible. As well, this treatment is not always kind to other bits nearby. So I did a little internet internet sleuthing and found:

1. This  Rust Remover Comparison Chart.
  2. This suggestion that vinegar is actually an excellent rust remover.

So this begs the question about what we want to get. My inclination is to at least try the vinegar solution, particularly as double strength cleaning vinegar is now pretty standard in most grocery stores. It also has the advantages of being non-toxic, not flammable, and cheap.

However the Comparison Chart suggests that what works best depends on what surface is rusted. We may want something that works particularly well on steel and iron (for eg). However, it is not a given that any particular product is available here.

I will be at Home Depot this Sat and can pick up whatever we need, but do we want to go with the vinegar option, the CLR, other, or a combination?

Penetrant
For my own purposes I was looking at penetrants and some more sleuthing turned up numerous references to this chart. Thinking about that frozen crank I wondered if Recyclore want's to invest in something more than the in house mix for really tough jobs. The comparison test suggests that Liquid Wrench is the best compromise of efficacy, cost and safety.

As above, I will be at Home Depot Saturday and can pick some up ... what would folks like? and of course I could pick up anything else we need then ... metal file(s)? grinding wheels(s)?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://recyclore.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Rust Remover and Penetrant Empty Re: Rust Remover and Penetrant

Post by anoppen Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 pm

I've been using Varsol to remove rust and find that it works well. The bio-chain grease removal stuff from MEC can also be used.

anoppen

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Alex

I'm pretty sure Dave has tried those and not found them doing the job he would like. Given how inexpensive it is do you have any objection to at least trying the double strength vinegar solution to see how it goes? I have some that I was going to bring in to at least try.

Any thoughts on the issue of penetrant?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://recyclore.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum