ReCyclore Ottawa Bicycle Cooperative
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet Access in the Shop

Go down

Internet Access in the Shop Empty Internet Access in the Shop

Post by Admin Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am

A discussion has emerged in the Shop Log (see Feb 15 2014) and elsewhere about the notion of Recyclore having internet access in the shop. This post is meant to summarize (as far as I can) that discussion to date so that we can continue it and perhaps come to some resolution.

The proposal is roughly that we get a used laptop for the shop as we don't require much computing power (as long as it runs Firefox we're good), and join an existing WiFi network (there is one, see Jan 4 Shop Log) for a minimal contribution.

Pro:

1) being able to instantly access technical information relevant to fixing up a bike like Bicycle Repair Guide . Particularly important given the current lack of Head Mechanics.  Particularly important for rare bikes with unusual problems that even an experienced HM may not be familiar with. Much more efficient that our current practice of:
- fruitlessly wrestling with a problem for a ridiculously long time, AND
-- doing it wrong, possibly damaging things in the process, OR
-- setting the bike aside
--- until an HM can look at it, OR
--- checking the internet at home and returning to the bike later.

2) being able to instantly access sales information to get an appropriate price for a bike. Currently we tend to take the bike details home and surf the net there, only to discover that for that Make/Model some details like sub-model, year, or options make a significant difference in pricing, necessitating gathering that information the following week and repeating the process.

3) being able to log donations and sales directly to shared files, thereby always having those files be current. Currently we log all of that on paper and then later transcribe it . This is twice the effort assuming that there are always people willing to do it and who conscienciously do do it within a reasonable amount of time.

Logging information directly also gets us around the problem of handwriting that is not clear. This is a very real issue with serial numbers where it is far from obvious what the number is as written in the log, but critical to identifying whether the bike is stolen or not.

Related is being able to log needed parts, tools and supplies etc in real time. The advantage here is that it is pretty easy to forget about something by the time one gets around to logging Recyclore details, in which case it will probably be forgotten until the next person needs whatever it is, at which point they are stuck.

Con:

1) Expense: For one or two shifts/week it is a lot of money for little benefit.

2) Complication: It overcomplicates our current simple and straightforward processes.

Responses to Cons:

Expense: The proposal is to join an existing network for a minimal contribution, but I acknowledge that this is a fair point. Even if this is possible (and it may not be since it will be up to the network owner to decide) we are then at the mercy of that network owner and are stuck if they change their mind, leave the location, etc. So it's a fair point regardless and needs to be considered.

Further, the intent is to build our base so that we are able to be open more often than the current 2 shifts/week, hence the amount of benefit relative to cost ratio improves.

Complication: I submit that for many of the things this is actually simpler and more efficient than current practice. This perspective is particularly true for those who do transcribe the donation and sales logs currently, and hence they would be spared that extra work.

As far as I know that is where the discussion stands at the moment. Please add your perspectives and thoughts.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://recyclore.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Internet Access in the Shop Empty Internet access

Post by Admin Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 am

I am in the process of pricing some bikes and this has made me more convinced than ever that we want internet access in the shop.

Right now I am trying to see what is a fair price for a Giant Sedona. I took what seemed like the relevant information home and find that there are 25 sub-models, and the price difference (at least for "like new" condition) ranges from $250 to $550, so it matters.

I just want to look at the bike, see which one it is and put a price on it, I do NOT want to try and figure out :

1. which feature is unique to each model so I can go back and see which applies
  2. which features define the extremes (low and high end) so I can ballpark it if it neither of those;
  3. go back and take a bunch of pictures of the bike in the hopes that the relevant features are clear in the pictures;
  4. take the bike home (never mind all of the others I am hoping to price) just so I can price it.

All in all a royal pain in the butt which is not an issue if we had internet access in the shop (never mind the other advantages).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Internet Access in the Shop Empty And another example

Post by Admin Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Just trying to price the Bianchi Varsity that Mike G is interested in. Here I get ??? listings for however many different years, specific sub-models and condition.

Do I have the information to tell which applies? Hell no!

Does it matter? The price range is from $25 to $500, so I'd have to say so.

Do I wish I had the bike in front of me so I could tell? You bet!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Internet Access in the Shop Empty Re: Internet Access in the Shop

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum